The expectation from long ago is that the father of the bride is the host of his daughter’s wedding breakfast. In times past that meant paying for the reception too, though the costs are usually shared these days. In keeping with that custom, the bride’s father is usually expected to act as the host for the wedding reception.
Sometimes a professional wedding MC is engaged, especially for society weddings. At most weddings the father of the bride is expected to give an opening speech and propose the toast to the newly wed couple at the beginning of the wedding reception.
There are five key steps to a successful father of the bride speech.
At the outset it is usual to say a few welcoming words to set the scene and create a happy atmosphere for a great wedding reception. The main objective is to get the guests to relax. A good way to do this is to talk about the wedding ceremony, the beautiful bride, the venue for the reception or even the weather — things that all the guests have their own views about — and how much you are looking forward to meeting everyone and enjoying the reception.
Secondly, as the host, the father of the bride welcomes all of the guests. It is usual to introduce any special guests, especially the groom’s family and those who have made a special effort to get to the wedding. Missing guests are often acknowledged at this stage also, especially those with close links with the bride or groom who have been unable to get to the wedding. A loved grandparent or favorite uncle who has recently passed away is often remembered at this point.
A third key component of the speech is to build some anticipation about the schedule for the reception, such as the highlight of the best man’s speech and any entertainment planned for during the reception, and for after the reception. Your guests will appreciate knowing what lies ahead for the reception.
As a fourth step in their wedding speech, most proud fathers want to say a few heartfelt words in public about the bride, their daughter. This is often the most difficult part of the speech to prepare for many fathers. There is not just one way to express your love for your daughter. Telling funny stories about your daughter growing up and quoting poetry are popular approaches, among many others.
Finally, to focus the attention of the wedding guests firmly on the newlywed couple it is customary for the father of the bride to call for guests to join him in a toast to the bride and groom. Choosing the right words for the toast is important.
Every father of the bride will use his own personality, humor and feelings into their father of the bride speeches around this or a similar simple five step speech framework.
Because few fathers will have much prior experience speaking at their own daughter’s wedding, most will find a professional wedding speech guide can be very helpful. Speech outlines and example wedding speeches are available, along with checklists of things and people that really should be mentioned, and valuable suggestions, such as popular jokes, quotes and poems to choose from.
If you, the groom, are just like most of us regular folk, public speaking is not something you look forward to. In fact, you probably make an effort to avoid public gatherings. Unfortunately, this is one of those occasions from which you can’t hide.
The good news is, putting together your groom speech need not be as challenging as it might seem at first. That is, as long as you are not tempted to bolster your nerves with too much punch. Be certain you do not drink too much alcohol until you are back safely in your seat, having delivered your speech.
Keep the following main point in mind:
Your groom speech focuses on thanking those who have helped you and your new bride get to this point in your lives. You will generally speak after the bride’s father.
Here are six points to help you get started:
1. Express Thanks to the bride’s mother and father for raising such a beautiful daughter and entrusting her to your care. Also, thank them for any help they have provided for the wedding and for your new life together.
2. Thank your own mother and father for taking care of you and being there for you throughout your life and for any contribution they have made to the wedding and helping you to get started in married life.
It is not a good idea to make fun of either your bride’s parents or your parents during a wedding speech unless you clear it with them before hand. Even the most easy going people may not take kindly to being the brunt of a joke on this occasion.
3. Of course, you cannot proceed any further in your speech without thanking your bride. Thank her for being the beautiful person she is, and point out some of her best qualities. Tell her how much you appreciate her trust in you and her love for you; that you consider yourself a very lucky man. Once again, be sweet and don’t make fun of your bride to get a laugh. You haven’t got to the honeymoon yet.
4. Next it’s time to say something about your best man. Generally, it should be safe to make some jokes about him. So, save your need for laughs until you get to him. Quite often the groom’s speech includes some humorous anecdotes about the best man and or groomsmen, and this can go down very well.
5. The maid of honor, bride’s maids, and flower girls are next on the list to be thanked. Mention how lovely they look and how much easier they made the day for your new wife.
6. After you have thanked all these people for contributing to your wedding and to your life, you can mention anyone else who is important to you or your bride: Siblings, aunts and uncles, grandparents, and friends can be mentioned at this time. You may also include any personal messages you would like to give.
When you have finished your speech, you can hand the proceedings back over to the master of ceremonies, if you have one. The best man’s speech follows the groom speech. Now you can go and have that drink.
Are you preparing to be the best man for your best friend’s wedding? You should be aware that being a best man is not easy to comprehend at all. As a matter of fact, you have to be prepared for it weeks before his big day. Being a best man is not just being there for your friend, you have to know how to write a best man speech during the reception where you tell stories of your friend and his spouse, how they met and how they end up marrying each other. Do you the best best man speech and the looks? To be a best man, you have to walk best, talk best and to look best, too. Speeches by best men are something that you should be pompous of and when you’re done with your speech, everyone would really like to give you the appreciation.
Being the best man is one of the greatest thing that could ever happen to a man in spite the fact that some of them actually don’t like the idea to become one. But, it is an honor for the husband-to-be, being your brother or best friend, to choose you as the guy who walks down the aisle with him when he finally gets to wed the love of his life. And one of these days, if you’re still single, there will be a greater chance that you can become one and that means, you need to learn how to write a best man speech and be ready for it. For some, learning how can be very tedious and difficult but since that everything can now be found on the Net even tutorials for things such as these, you will never have a hard time learning how to deliver your speech. All you need to do is browse through Cyberspace.
So, if ever you have the feeling that one of your friends is planning to get married and he wants you to be his best man, get ready by learning how to write best man speeches and maybe, just maybe, you can wow that sexy and lovely bridesmaid of the bride.