Your wedding date is scheduled, the ceremony location and reception hall are reserved, not to mention some of your other wedding services. Congratulations, you think that your major wedding decisions are actually made right? Well, not exactly! Anyone could assume that looking for a great DJ for your wedding would be as common as a search on the internet, asking one or two friends and checking some DJ websites. Of course, most DJ’s will be acceptable for your wedding right? However, there is a large distinction between some DJ’s and DJ companies. Certainly not just from the price of the DJ service, but also in the quality.
How do we evaluate what wedding DJ to pick? We’ve taken our years of experience to compile a list of the top 10 questions you should ask a possible DJ company. These questions are especially vital and sometimes overlooked. Making sure these questions get answered can help you tell the difference in the standard of DJ’s you are looking at for the wedding.
1. Are they insured fully for both liability and theft coverage? We estimate that most DJ’s are not properly insured with a business insurance policy! In addition, a large number of wedding reception locations are requiring evidence of insurance from the DJ.
2. Exactly how long has the DJ company been around?
3. The potential DJ should have a written contract for you to sign. Will it be worded fairly for both parties? Note: A DJ performance agreement needs to have simple, clear and understandable language and be no longer than a few pages. If it seems like you are buying a house with a long, hard to understand contract, we advise getting a different DJ.
4. Will the DJ organize and announce your wedding events, money dance, etc.? Can they work as an MC for your reception events?
5. Will they get your guests involved in special dances and game if you wish? Are these games and interactions contemporary? In the event that they mention the hokey pokey or Macarenakeep looking!
6. Just what exactly makes them better or distinct from other DJ companies?
7. If your DJ becomes sick, has a vehicle issue, a kids emergency or can’t make it to your wedding, what is the alternative plan? Is there another talented DJ ready to do your wedding on short notice?
8. Are they an experienced wedding DJ? What amount of weddings and ceremonies have they performed at?
9. In the event there’s an equipment malfunction, can they have backup equipment available on site?
10. Can they offer you complete references with names, emails, numbers, etc. of past wedding clients?
All your questions must be addressed by the potential DJ company. When you make a decision on the person or company you want for your wedding entertainment, it’s important to reserve that date right away. Why? Because some of the popular disc jockeys are booked well in advance on busy wedding dates, sometimes with a year or even more. If you wait, you may have to be happy with your next choice. Best of luck on your hunt for the perfect DJ and congratulations!
By Tom Kenemore, Pro Sound & Light Show DJs & Uplighting, Duluth, Minnesota. For more advice and tips on wedding planning, check out Wedding DJ Minnesota. Pro Sound & Light Show DJ’s & Uplighting provide award winning Minnesota Wedding DJs as well as wedding DJ’s and Uplighting in Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan.